NOTICE TO MEMBERS OF THE BAR
AND THE PUBLIC
U.S. District Court, District of Utah
Office of the Clerk of Court
The United States District Court has transitioned from paper to electronic
filing. We have converted our ICMS case management system to CM/ECF (Case Management/Electronic
Case Files). There are a few things that you can do to assist us in processing
your filings until you become an e-filer (Pro se filers must still file in paper). Electronic Filing for all attorneys is mandatory as of May 1, 2006.
Please submit your pleadings in paper to the Court as follows:
- DO NOT STAPLE THE ORIGINAL - The Clerk's Office is now scanning
all documents. It takes additional time to remove the staples and the removal
of the staples can create problems with scanning the document.
- DO NOT USE TABS IN THE ORIGINAL - Removing the tabs and ensuring
that the exhibits/attachments are correctly labeled takes a lot of time for
the Court. Please use a label on the first page of the exhibit or use a separate
page of light colored paper marked with the exhibit number to denote the start
of each exhibit (please note: the darker the color of paper used the larger
the document is when scanned. Light pink or yellow are preferrred). Continue
to use tabs in the judge's courtesy copy for the convenience of chambers.
- ALL PROPOSED ORDERS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED AS A SEPARATE DOCUMENT -
The local rules require submission of proposed orders as a separate document
and do not allow addition of a "so ordered" line in the motion requesting
- DO NOT FILE DOUBLE SIDED DOCUMENTS - double sided documents or exhibits
create scanning problems and the back page will not be scanned.
- DOUBLE CHECK THE CASE NUMBER AND JUDGE ASSIGNMENT - If the case
number or judge information are incorrect then the document has to be corrected
and then scanned again. This creates more work for the court staff and slows
down the processing of you documents.
- FILING CIVIL COMPLAINTS IN PAPER - Attorneys filing civil complaints in paper must also submit the opening document(s) and cover sheet on a disc in PDF format. Each pdf file must be 10 mb or less.
We appreciate your assistance in speeding up our internal processing of your
documents. If you have any questions regarding filing a pleading, please call
the Office of the Clerk at 801-524-6100.