Court Seal

District of Utah
Honorable David Nuffer, Chief Judge   |   D. Mark Jones, Clerk


How do I look up cases on your web site?
Case information is available through PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records) at A PACER login is available to any attorney or member of the public, with a $.10 per page fee for documents downloaded.

How do I file documents in the court?
If you are an attorney, you must file electronically.  Instructions for obtaining a login and password are found at  If you are representing yourself and are not a member of the bar, you must prepare your pleadings on paper and the clerk's office will file your documents.  You should provide a copy of your pleading that can be sent to the judge assigned to the case.

How do I submit proposed orders?
Attorneys should email proposed orders as directed by the CM/ECF Administrative Procedures. Persons representing themselves should submit one copy of a proposed order prepared for the judge's signature.

How many certificates of service do I file, when filing in paper?
File only the original of any certificate of service. A copy for the judge is not necessary.

What are the requirements for preparing paper pleadings?
The original document requires an original signature (preferably in blue ink), it should not be stapled or contain tabs, and should be flat and unfolded.

What is the procedure for filing a new complaint?
One of two methods:

1. Complaints should now be filed online. See the instructions under Initiating a New Civil Case.


2. File an original document and provide one copy for the judge. Include a completed civil cover sheet and a copy for the judge. Attorneys filing civil complaints on paper must also submit the opening document(s) and cover sheet on a disc in PDF format. All documents on the disc must include an electronic signature or the /s/ signature. Provide a check for $400.00, made payable to: "Clerk, U.S. District Court". Bring completed summons to be issued by the clerk.

Link to Top of Page

Do you accept faxed documents?
Documents produced via facsimile transmission are not deemed acceptable.

Do you accept emailed documents?
Not to be filed in the case. However, copies of proposed orders should be emailed to the judge's chambers. Complaints should be be emailed as part of case opening.

What is the procedure for filing discovery?
Pursuant to DUCivR 26-1, discovery documents are not to be filed with the court unless so ordered by the court.

What is the procedure for filing disclosures?
Disclosures under the recent amendments to the Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 26(a), are treated as other discovery documents such as answers to interrogatories, requests for admissions, requests for production of documents, depositions or notices of taking depositions requried by Fed R. Civ. P. 30(b)(1), and certificates of service for any of the discvoery materials are NOT filed with the court. Please refer to DUCivR 26-1. Expert Witness Reports, however, are filed. Proposed Witness Lists and Exhibit Lists are also filed.

Who issues summons in a civil case?
Summons are issued by the court. The summons form needs to be completely filled out prior to being issued. Civil summons may also be issued electronically. See instructions for Civil Summons Issued Electronically.

Who issues subpoenas in a civil case?
Attorneys may issue subpoenas in civil cases. The clerk may issue subpoenas for non attorney pro se litigants.

My case has been assigned to Magistrate Judge. What do I do now?
Visit the Magistrate Judge Consent Page.

How do you serve subpoenas for a deposition or for documents in another state when the case is pending here?
Attorneys who are practicing before this court are empowered by Rule 45 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure to issue subpoenas for depositions or documents in any other federal court district.  The standard subpoena form should be used and will contain the Utah heading and case number.  The attorney will serve the necessary notices when issuing a subpoena.

When the return of service is made, the attorney holds the return. It is not filed in the Utah file.

If further proceedings, such as a notice of appeal, a motion to compel or motion to quash are filed, the attorney must open a miscellaneous case in the other district in order to litigate the validity of the subpoena.

How do I submit (or file) my Attorney Planning Meeting Report and Scheduling Order?
As soon as practicable, counsel in a civil case should conduct an Attorney Planning Meeting under Fed. R. Civ. P. 26(f). The Attorney Planning Meeting Report form should be completed and filed with the court promptly thereafter (and no later than 30 days in advance of any Initial Pretrial (IPT) Scheduling Conference).  A draft Proposed Scheduling Order should be simultaneously should be e-mailed to, unless the case is assigned to senior judges Bruce S. Jenkins or David Sam in which case the Proposed Order should be emailed directly to that senior judge.
For complete instructions, please visit our IPT page.

How do I amend a Scheduling Order?
If a motion or stipulation is filed to request a change of scheduled dates, please consider whether the change will necessarily require a new trial date. Generally, five months must be allowed between the dispositive motion deadline and the trial date to allow the motions to be filed, briefed, set, argued and decided before trial preparation starts. A motion or stipulation that does not leave this amount of time will likely not be granted. 

If a motion or stipulation to amend schedule is filed, a new Proposed Scheduling Order should simultaneously be emailed to, unless the case is assigned to senior judges Bruce S. Jenkins or David Sam in which case the Proposed Order should be emailed directly to that judge.

It is improper to use a combined "motion and order" to amend a scheduling order. 
For complete instructions, please visit our IPT page.

Link to Top of Page

What are the current witness fees?
Witness fees are currently $40.00 per day and $ 0.54 per mile (round-trip) (As of 01/01/2016)

How do I obtain a copy of an Opinion (also known as a Memorandum Decision)?
Memorandum Decisions may be downloaded from PACER at no charge. They can be found under Reports > Written Opinions Report. There is no charge for downloading opinions from PACER.

Also, copies of opinions or other documents in a case may be obtained at the Clerk's Office and are $.50 per page and payment is requested in advance. To obtain copies, please submit a Copywork Request Form to the Clerk's office indicating the case number, case name and the court record number.

For additional options and complete information, visit the How to Obtain Copies of Court Documents page. If you need further assistance, please call the Intake Office at (801) 524-6100.

How do I obtain a copy of a transcript?
Each district court adopts a schedule of transcript fees for its reporters and transcribers, subject to maximum rates established by the Judicial Conference. The conference has established four transcript categories based on delivery times and has set a maximum rate for each. Fees range from $3.00-$6.00 per page. Costs for additional copies range from $.50-$1.00 per page.

To order a transcript for a matter held before a District Judge. In general, contact the Judge's Court Reporter. Keep in mind that court reporters cover other court reporters. Consult the minute entry for the name of the court reporter. Have the following information available when ordering transcripts:

  • Case Number, Name of the Judge, Date of Hearing

To order a transcript for a matter held before a Magistrate Judge, contact the magistrate courtroom deputy. The information you will need is on the minute entry. Be ready to give the:

  • Case Number, Date of Hearing, Time Start and Stop and Room Number.
The courtroom deputy will transmit the audio recording to one of the court's official court reporters to make a transcript. You will be contacted by the court reporter to make arrangements for payment and to be notified when the transcript is complete.

Link to Top of Page

What is a Docket? How do I obtain copies of a Docket?
Dockets are a "snapshot" of the case file. The docket lists each party, and the attorneys of record. A brief summary of each document is listed, along with the date it was filed and the court record number assigned to the document.

To obtain a copy of the docket sheet, please submit a Copywork Request Form to the Clerk's office indicating the case name and case number of the docket sheet you would like a copy of. Cost is $.50 per page. Dockets may be remotely accessed by use of the PACER system.

How do I get a certified copy of the docket?
Certified dockets are available at the standard cost of $.50 per page, plus $11 for the certification. To obtain a copy of the docket sheet, please submit a Copywork Request Form to the Clerk's office, and make sure to check the 'Certification' box.

What do I do if I have a question about a docket entry in a specific case?
For answers to docket questions call the docket clerk assigned to that judge. The clerks and the telephone numbers are listed below.

Cases assigned to Judge David Nuffer (DN) (801)524-6119
Cases assigned to Judge Clark Waddoups (CW) (801)524-6124
Cases assigned to Judge Jill N. Parrish (JNP) (801)524-6505
Cases assigned to Judge Robert J. Shelby (RJS) (801)524-6122
Cases assigned to Judge Bruce S. Jenkins (BSJ) (801)524-6146
Cases assigned to Judge David Sam (DS) (801)524-6124
Cases assigned to Judge Dale A. Kimball (DAK) (801)524-6618
Cases assigned to Judge Tena Campbell (TC) (801)524-6119
Cases assigned to Judge Dee Benson (DB) (801)524-6135
Cases assigned to Judge Ted Stewart (TS) (801)524-6196
Cases assigned to Magistrate Judge Courtroom Deputy

If you need information on a case that has been filed within the past five (5) days, please call the Intake Office at (801) 524-6100.

Link to Top of Page

How do I get a copy of the local rules?
The local rules are available for sale at the Office of the Clerk or you may download PDF or HTML version. Copies should be available at local law libraries.

How are Judges assigned to cases?
Our cases are assigned randomly via a computerized "card deck".

How do I obtain information about my divorce?
Divorces are obtained through the State of Utah. The state court in Salt Lake City is Third District Court. The phone number is (801) 238-7300.

How do I obtain information regarding my traffic ticket?
Traffic tickets in Salt Lake City, not issued on federal property, are handled by the state. Traffic matters on federal property may be handled in our court. Click here for additional information regarding CVB Violations.

What is the phone number for the state court?
In Salt Lake City, the State Court is Third District Court. They may be reached at (801) 238-7300.

How do I get answers to simple legal questions?
The clerk's office staff may NOT provide any legal advice.

You may attend the "Tuesday Night Bar" sponsored by the Utah State Bar and speak with an attorney briefly with no charge. It is held at the Utah Law & Justice Center, 645 South 200 East, Salt Lake City four Tuesdays a month from 5:00 - 7:00 P.M. Appointments are required, and can only be made on Mondays between 1:00 and 5:00 p.m. at (801)297-7037.

What is the Criminal Justice Act (CJA)?
Under the Criminal Justice Act, 18 U.S.C. §3006A, all persons charged with federal criminal offenses who are financially unable to obtain counsel are entitled to appointment of counsel to represent them.  The Office of the Federal Public Defender is appointed to represent a majority of the financially eligible defendants in federal criminal cases in Utah. The remaining eligible defendants are represented by private attorneys, appointed by the Court. These private attorneys are admitted to panels of attorneys eligible for appointment in federal criminal cases.

How do I get a copy of a sealed document?
Sealed documents are not available to be viewed or downloaded. They are not available to the public, or to attorneys or parties on a case. The only way to view or obtain a copy of a sealed document is by order of the judge.

Updated 10/24/2016

Link to Top of Page