You are here

All fine and dandy, but in my case, I have seven defendants and one defendant has filed a third party complaint and it's going to take forever to get consents and I have pending dispositive motions against some defendants. What happens then?


A magistrate judge can only proceed under 28 U.S.C. ยง 636 ( c ) when all the parties consent. If, as the case develops, it becomes clear that consents can't be filed within a reasonable period of time, the magistrate judge, sua sponte or upon motion by a party, can order the clerk to randomly reassign the case to a district judge.

FAQ Type: