Under General Order 20-014, the United States District Court for the District of Utah has suspended its 2020-2021 annual registration fee of $30.00 for currently active members. Attorneys, however, still need to register online using the court's CM/ECF system to maintain or to reinstate active membership with the court’s bar. To complete the Annual Attorney Registration, click on the E-Filing (CM/ECF) button on the court's homepage and login. To view all the registration options available in CM/ECF, PACER and CM/ECF accounts must be linked. Please review the court's NextGen CM/ECF webpage for more information and instructions about linking PACER and CM/ECF accounts.
For the 2020-2021 Annual Attorney Registration, please note the following:
- Active Attorneys - Register online by July 1. For more information about how to register, please review the Active Attorney Registration instructions.
- Federal Attorneys - Register online by July 1. To qualify as a federal attorney, an attorney must be employed by (or on special assignment for) the United States Government, its agencies, or a Federal Public Defender’s Office and be an active member in good standing of any state bar. For more information about how to register as a federal attorney, please review the Federal Attorney Registration instructions.
- Inactive Attorneys - To reactivate bar membership, register online by July 1 and pay a $30.00 reactivation fee. Otherwise, to maintain inactive status, no registration is required. For more information about how to reactivate bar membership, please review the Inactive Attorney Registration instructions.
- Suspended for Failure to Renew Attorneys (this status will be referred to as “Fee Suspended” in the court’s Attorney Directory) - Register online by July 1 and pay a $45.00 reactivation fee. For more information about how to reactive bar membership, please review the Fee Suspended Registration instructions.
- Request to Go Inactive - Request to change status to inactive by July 1. Attorneys who want to go inactive or who have retired should make a request to change their membership status using the court's CM/ECF system. For more information about how to inactivate a membership, please review the Request to Go Inactive instructions.
Attorneys, excluding inactive attorneys, who fail to register by December 31, 2020, will be unable to electronically file documents in this court as of January 1, 2021, their status will change to registration lapsed, and their name removed from the court’s roll of active attorneys. Additionally, a reinstatement fee of $200.00 will be assessed before an attorney’s membership will be reactivated.
All payments must be paid online through Pay.gov using a major credit card or ACH/direct debit from a checking or savings account. The Clerk’s Office no longer accepts checks, money orders, in-person payments, or hard copies of the attorney annual registration form. Save a copy of the Pay.gov payment receipt to process a refund, if necessary.
Attorneys who practice in this court and inactive attorneys must maintain valid and current contact information in PACER, including mailing address, email address, and telephone number. For more information on how to update contact information in PACER, please review these instructions. Updating contact information in PACER will not notify case participants of any changes to contact information in active cases. To notify case participants of changes a Notice of Change of Address must be filed in CM/ECF.
Please contact the Clerk’s Office at 801-524-6100 with any questions.