You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I get a copy of a sealed document?

    Sealed documents are not available to be viewed or downloaded. They are not available to the public, or to attorneys or parties on a case. The only way to view or obtain a copy of a sealed document is by order of the judge.


  • What is the Criminal Justice Act (CJA)?

    Under the Criminal Justice Act, 18 U.S.C. §3006A, all persons charged with federal criminal offenses who are financially unable to obtain counsel are entitled to appointment of counsel to represent them.  The Office of the Federal Public Defender is appointed to represent a majority of the financially eligible defendants in federal criminal cases in Utah. The remaining eligible defendants are represented by private attorneys, appointed by the Court. These private attorneys are admitted to panels of attorneys eligible for appointment in federal criminal cases.

  • How do I get answers to simple legal questions?

    The clerk's office staff may NOT provide any legal advice.

    You may attend the "Tuesday Night Bar" sponsored by the Utah State Bar and speak with an attorney briefly with no charge. It is held at the Utah Law & Justice Center, 645 South 200 East, Salt Lake City four Tuesdays a month from 5:30 - 7:00 P.M. Appointments for free 30 minute consultations are required, and can only be made on Mondays between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m. at (801)297-7037.

  • What is the phone number for the state court?

    In Salt Lake City, the State Court is Third District Court. They may be reached at (801) 238-7300.  The Utah Court's website is:

  • How do I obtain information regarding my traffic ticket?

    Traffic tickets in Salt Lake City, not issued on federal property, are handled by the state. Traffic matters on federal property may be handled in our court. Click here for additional information regarding CVB Violations

  • How do I obtain information about my divorce?

    Divorces are obtained through the State of Utah. The state court in Salt Lake City is Third District Court. The phone number is (801) 238-7300.

  • How are Judges assigned to cases?

    Our cases are assigned randomly via a computerized "card deck".

  • How do I get a copy of the local rules?

    The local rules are available for sale at the Office of the Clerk or you may download PDF or HTML version. Copies should be available at local law libraries

  • What do I do if I have a question about a docket entry in a specific case?

    For answers to docket questions call the docket clerk assigned to that judge. The clerks and the telephone numbers are listed below.


      CIVIL and CRIMINAL  
      Cases assigned to Judge Robert J. Shelby (RJS) 801-524-6618
      Cases assigned to Judge David Nuffer (DN) 801-524-6119
      Cases assigned to Judge Jill N. Parrish (JNP) 801-524-6122
      Cases assigned to Judge Howard C. Nielson (HCN) 801-524-6146
      Cases assigned to Judge David B. Barlow (DBB) 801-524-6123
      Cases assigned to Judge Bruce S. Jenkins (BSJ) 801-524-6124
      Cases assigned to Judge David Sam (DS) 801-524-6124
      Cases assigned to Judge Dale A. Kimball (DAK) 801-524-6110
      Cases assigned to Judge Tena Campbell (TC) 801-524-6119
      Cases assigned to Judge Dee Benson (DB) 801-524-6122
      Cases assigned to Judge Ted Stewart (TS) 801-524-6146
      Cases assigned to Judge Clark Waddoups (CW) 801-524-6124
      Cases assigned to Magistrate Judge Courtroom Deputy

    If you need information on a case that has been filed within the past five (5) days, please call the Intake Office at 801- 524-6100.

  • How do I get a certified copy of the docket?

    Certified dockets are available at the standard cost of $.50 per page, plus $11 for the certification. To obtain a copy of the docket sheet, please submit a Copywork Request Form to the Clerk's office, and make sure to check the 'Certification' box.