Upgrade Your Pacer Account for NextGen CM/ECF
On February 1, 2020, the District of Utah will upgrade its CM/ECF system to NextGen CM/ECF (NextGen). This will require filers to take steps to prepare for NextGen in order to continue to electronically file.
NextGen simplifies electronic filing by combining your CM/ECF and PACER accounts into a single Central Sign-On account. Through the PACER website, filers will use one log-in and password to electronically file in all NextGen courts where they have permission to file. You will no longer need a separate CM/ECF account for each NextGen court. All Federal Courts are expected to eventually adopt NextGen.
What can I do to prepare now?
Before February 1, 2020, upgrade your PACER account at https://www.pacer.gov/, if you have not already done so. Each filer must have his or her own PACER account.
Firm (Shared Account) PACER accounts will not work with NexGen. Please note, PACER accounts created after August 11, 2014, are already upgraded accounts.
How to Upgrade Your PACER Account
- Navigate to PACER- www.pacer.gov
- Click on the Manage My Account link in the top right corner.
- Login with PACER credentials.
- Confirm that your name appears on the screen. If is not your account, please login with your account or create a new individual PACER account
- Next to Account Type in the center of the next screen will be listed either Legacy or Upgraded PACER Account.
- For the type: Upgraded PACER Account – No further action is needed until the court goes live on NextGen CM/ECF
- For the type: Legacy PACER Account - there will be an Upgrade link next to the account type.
- Click the Upgrade link.
- Verify the information in the Person tab is correct.
- Under User Type, select ATTORNEY.
- Click Next to advance to the Address tab.
- Verify the information in the Address tab is correct.
- Click Next to advance to the Security tab.
- In the Security tab you must create a new username between 8 and 40 characters long, but can use the old PACER password, and create two security questions and answers. Click Submit when finished.
- All Individual Upgraded PACER accounts will need to be linked to the attorney's legacy CM/ECF E-Filing login on or after February 3, 2020.