You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is a Docket? How do I obtain copies of a Docket?

    Dockets are a "snapshot" of the case file. The docket lists each party, and the attorneys of record. A brief summary of each document is listed, along with the date it was filed and the court record number assigned to the document.

    To obtain a copy of the docket sheet, please submit a Copywork Request Form to the Clerk's office indicating the case name and case number of the docket sheet you would like a copy of. Cost is $.50 per page. Dockets may be remotely accessed by use of the PACER system.

  • How do I obtain a copy of a transcript?

    Each district court adopts a schedule of transcript fees for its reporters and transcribers, subject to maximum rates established by the Judicial Conference. The conference has established four transcript categories based on delivery times and has set a maximum rate for each. Fees range from $3.00-$6.00 per page. Costs for additional copies range from $.50-$1.00 per page.
    To order a transcript for a matter held before a District Judge. In general, contact the Judge's Court Reporter. Keep in mind that court reporters cover other court reporters. Consult the minute entry for the name of the court reporter. Have the following information available when ordering transcripts:

    • Case Number, Name of the Judge, Date of Hearing

    To order a transcript for a matter held before a Magistrate Judge, contact the magistrate courtroom deputy. The information you will need is on the minute entry. Be ready to give the:

    • Case Number, Date of Hearing, Time Start and Stop and Room Number.

    The courtroom deputy will transmit the audio recording to one of the court's official court reporters to make a transcript. You will be contacted by the court reporter to make arrangements for payment and to be notified when the transcript is complete.

  • How do I obtain a copy of an Opinion (also known as a Memorandum Decision)?

    Memorandum Decisions may be downloaded from PACER at no charge. They can be found under Reports > Written Opinions Report. There is no charge for downloading opinions from PACER.
    Also, copies of opinions or other documents in a case may be obtained at the Clerk's Office and are $.50 per page and payment is requested in advance. To obtain copies, please submit a Copywork Request Form to the Clerk's office indicating the case number, case name and the court record number.
    For additional options and complete information, visit the How to Obtain Copies of Court Documents page. If you need further assistance, please call the Intake Office at (801) 524-6100.

  • What are the current witness fees?

    Witness fees are currently $40.00 per day and $ 0.56 per mile (round-trip) (As of 01/01/2021)

  • How do I amend a Scheduling Order?

    To request a change in an existing Scheduling Order, a Motion (or Stipulated Motion) to amend Scheduling Order should be filed.  Please consider whether the change will neecessarily require a new trial date.  Generally, at least five months must be allowed between the dispositive motion deadline and the trial date to allow the motions to be briefed, set, argued and decided before trial preparation begins. A motion that does not leave this amount of time will likely not be granted. 

    When a motion is filed, a new Proposed Scheduling Order should simultaneously be emailed to the presiding judge, or if an Order of Referring Case case been entered, to the referred magistrate judge.

    It is improper to use a combined "motion and order" to amend a scheduling order. 
    For complete instructions, please visit our Civil Scheduling page.

  • How do I submit (or file) my Attorney Planning Meeting Report and Scheduling Order?

    In most civil cases, the court will enter an Order to Propose Schedule, which will provide specific instructions and deadlines for filing an Attorney Planning Meeting Report. Absent the entry of an Order to Propose Schedule, however, counsel should conduct an Attorney Planning Meeting under Fed. R. Civ. P. 26(f) as soon as practicable, and the Attorney Planning Meeting Report form should be completed and filed with the court promptly thereafter. A draft Proposed Scheduling Order in word processing format should be simultaneously emailed to the presiding judge, or if an Order Referring Case has been entered, to the referred magistrate judge.  Forms for both the Attorney Planning Meeting Report and Proposed Scheduling Order are available on the court's Forms page.

    The Court will consider entering the Scheduling Order based on the filed Attorney Planning Meeting Report.

    In CM/ECF, this document should be E-Filed as Other Documents - Attorney Planning Meeting 

    If parties are unable to stipulate to a schedule, the parties will file a Motion for Initial Scheduling Conference.  The assigned district or referred magistrate judge may hold a hearing.  If a hearing is held, counsel should bring a copy of the Attorney Planning Meeting Report to the Hearing. 

    For complete instructions, please visit our Civil Scheduling page.

  • How do you serve subpoenas for a deposition or for documents in another state when the case is pending here?

    Attorneys who are practicing before this court are empowered by Rule 45 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure to issue subpoenas for depositions or documents in any other federal court district.  The standard subpoena form should be used and will contain the Utah heading and case number.  The attorney will serve the necessary notices when issuing a subpoena.
    When the return of service is made, the attorney holds the return. It is not filed in the Utah file.
    If further proceedings, such as a notice of appeal, a motion to compel or motion to quash are filed, the attorney must open a miscellaneous case in the other district in order to litigate the validity of the subpoena.

  • Who issues subpoenas in a civil case?

    Attorneys may issue subpoenas in civil cases. The clerk may issue subpoenas for non attorney pro se litigants.

  • Who issues summons in a civil case?

    The court issues a summons in a civil case. For additional information about a summons, please visit the Initiating a New Civil Case webpage.

  • What is the procedure for filing disclosures?

    Disclosures under the recent amendments to the Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 26(a), are treated as other discovery documents such as answers to interrogatories, requests for admissions, requests for production of documents, depositions or notices of taking depositions required by Fed R. Civ. P. 30(b)(1), and certificates of service for any of the discovery materials are NOT filed with the court. Please refer to DUCivR 26-1. Expert Witness Reports, however, are filed. Proposed Witness Lists and Exhibit Lists are also filed.