You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do you accept emailed documents?

    Not to be filed in the case. However, copies of proposed orders should be emailed to the judge's chambers. Complaints should be be emailed as part of case opening.

  • Do you accept faxed documents?

    Documents produced via facsimile transmission are not deemed acceptable.

  • What is the procedure for filing a new complaint?

    An attorney who is registered to use the District of Utah’s CM/ECF system may electronically file civil or miscellaneous cases. Electronically filing a case, however, will take coordination with the Clerk’s Office. An unrepresented party may file a new civil case by emailing, mailing, or delivering the cover sheet and initiating documents to the Clerk’s Office. For additional information, please visit the Initiating a New Civil Case webpage.

  • What are the requirements for preparing paper pleadings?

    The original document requires an original signature (preferably in blue ink), it should not be stapled or contain tabs, and should be flat and unfolded.

  • How many certificates of service do I file, when filing in paper?

    File only the original of any certificate of service. A copy for the judge is not necessary.

  • How do I submit proposed orders?

    Attorneys should email proposed orders as directed by the ECF Procedures Manual. Persons representing themselves should submit one copy of a proposed order prepared for the judge's signature.

  • How do I look up cases on your web site?

    Case information is available through PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records) at A PACER login is available to any attorney or member of the public, with a $.10 per page fee for documents downloaded.

  • How do I file documents in the court?

    If you are an attorney, you must file electronically.  Instructions for obtaining a login and password can be found here.  If you are representing yourself and are not a member of the bar, you must prepare your pleadings on paper and the clerk's office will file your documents.  You should provide a copy of your pleading that can be sent to the judge assigned to the case.